Saturday, January 17, 2009

I just don't know

I'm really lucky to have some amazing friends, both at Longwood and at home.

I feel mundane today, so that's what you get. Well, I never feel mundane, but you need to know the public story more than you need to know the truth.
I've had a really hard last couple of days. There were some really fun times, and I appreciate those with all my conscious thought.
I started working on my new Purcell pieces. That man was a sublime composer, most especially "When I am Laid in Earth" from Dido and Aeneas. If there is ever anything that can speak so clearly to the soul as music, it is found within that aria. When I listen to it, I feel like time is suspended, like it stops in respectful observation. It's rare for me to find music in which I am completely washed away. Not that music doesn't affect me, because I thrive on it, but that seldom happens. I remember one time during my very first studio class, Tiffany Graves sang "Were you there?" and I cried, literally wept. I never, ever cry in front of anyone, but for that time, we were in suspended animation, and it didn't matter.
I hope I impart that on someone. Someday.

Labels for this post: friends, Purcell, suspension.

No comments:

Post a Comment