Saturday, April 18, 2009

Analogies

As a musician, I frequently employ analogies to explain things, and I've noticed that most of my professors use them too. For instance, dissonance is crunchy, like leaves. Dr. Hebert says things are "sizzly" like "crispy fried chicken" and then (usually) "Ooooh, lunch."
=D

Metaphors are also good. Sometimes they occur to me, and I don't write them down, because they're usually the product of bitterness, and I'm not fixin' to have that. Sometimes they're the result of buoyant cheer, sometimes profound sadness. Either way, I read them and I feel so thankful that I was taught well enough to create this:
"Every fiber of my being is wretched with apology."
"In fashion, give hints - not answers."
"When I see you, I know who I am again. I hear your voice and I have found gravity."
"Gil carefully washes his paintbrushes, flooding the sink with colorful dreams."
"She refused to look at the lush furniture, the vibrant paintings converging at the corners of her vision."
Fiction writing is the best of ideas.
Now, go bed.

Labels for this post: analogies, metaphors, quotations

2 comments: