Saturday, June 13, 2009

Preening

Is it absolutely shameless to say that I admire myself sometimes?
If so, I'd like you to promptly go to hell. Just kidding - I don't really mean that at all.
I'm just sort of reveling in the quietude of my summer. I love my room and my bed, but mostly my stash of favorite books that I read and reread whenever I'm home.
I could never have a TV in my room - I think it seriously disrupts the idea of peace and rest that your room should bring you. Mine is my sanctuary. So is my diary. If you wanted a real look inside my head, you'd have to find it. I don't recommend it. You might die.
Again, I kid.
Generally speaking, I like to find certain things to admire in other people. Qualities I myself lack, or some similarity. Positive things. I find that people on the whole are far too negative, especially in regard to themselves. If we all practiced a little more self-love, maybe we'd make actual progress.
Something I admire in myself is that I'm brave enough to be alone. I don't feel the compulsion to be with someone, because my happiness does not hinge on it. It will not make or break my future or really any of my decisions. Of course, that will change with time, once I find someone who is worth it. But they don't have to hurry back - I'll catch up to them.

Labels for this post: Zen, sanctuary, free

4 comments:

  1. you spoke my mind, lovely fiance of mine.

    see my most recent post...:)

    and no. finding things to admire about yourself is called appreciating the gift of your life, not selfishness. it's healthy and far too few of us take advantage of that.

    all my love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the best. I really admire you. A lot.

    Teach me to be like that. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this.
    I love that you're brave enough as well. I do feel I am brave enough as well. It's more fun this way as well.
    I love this blog post in general. It makes me a happy person.

    ReplyDelete