Monday, July 6, 2009

Empathy

The following is a true story, except for whatever I made up to make it more interesting.

About mid-semester (read: early March) I wandered around campus at about 9:30PM, pausing to wait for the FAB to take me home. It was windy and I was freezing, wondering whether or not an excessively cute boy was worth wearing a corduroy skirt and opaque tights mid-thirties degrees. As I pondered, a little black Mazda sauntered up near the curb where I was standing, a petite, pretty face sticking out of the open window.
"Hey," she called, "do you want a ride to Lancer Park?" I said yes and hopped in. I can't remember this girl's name, even now. I think it might be Erica, and I sort of want it to be even if it's not. I introduced myself, then clearly forgot her answering introduction.

"So, how was your day?" I ask. She surprised me by laughing once - bitterly.
"Well, it kind of sucked, actually." She said, unconsciously biting her bottom lip. I asked why.
"Oh, well," she stammered, clearly flustered, "I was stood up for a date today, actually." She glanced over at me, a quick appraisal of my immediate reaction, and then I saw it. I could practically read the keystrokes of insecurity on her face - her chagrin at telling a perfect stranger, her anxious comparison of the two of us, the 'I bet that never happens to her' that we all possess about each other. In that moment, I had never been so grateful for empathy.
"Me, too," I said gently. She looked thoroughly startled, her eyebrows almost disappearing into the graceful sweep of her brunette bangs.
"No way!" she nearly shouted, and I could hear the relief and gratitude wash through her voice. She was grateful. I was, too.
"Boys are so stupid," she continued, invigorated, "SO stupid."
"I know, right? I mean, look at us!" I encouraged, glad after all that I had worn tights.
"Totally," she gushed, pulling up to my house, "hey, we should hang out sometime."
I laughed and agreed, waving at her all the way to my door.

OK, to be fair, I know why my date canceled on me - he had a huge assignment due the next day, and he was in a lab until midnight to finish it. It was completely legit.
I never did hang out with her - I just never saw her after that - and it's okay. I have so many "Let's hang out!" friends that I've completely lost track of who they are, and I figure the only way to correct it is to simply hang out with all of them.
It's working pretty well so far.

Labels for this post: boys are SO stupid

1 comment: