Thursday, August 20, 2009

Promises

I think I must be really bored today, because my thinking is very clear, which means there isn't enough stuff in my brain yet. I'm not too worried - I'm going to need that extra storage when school starts up next week.

Wait, next week?
Jeez...

Anyway, I was thinking about promises lately. Ever since I lilted into romantic interest, I've always been very skeptical about them. Several of my ex-boyfriends, or people I had dated (to be accurate) have asked me at one point or other to promise ridiculously romantic and therefore impossible things.
"Promise you'll never hurt me." Classic.
Of course that's not true. That doesn't mean you're a bad girlfriend, it means you're being realistic. Once you get comfortable with someone, it's much easier to overlook their positive qualities and focus on the negative ones, which promotes nitpicking, which gets under your skin and ultimately hurts.

Solution: "Try not to be an ass, please. I'm specifically asking you not to."
See, this way you encourage an open bond with whomever because you don't have such a strict restriction over your head, and ultimately, you have to be honest. You don't have to be harsh or overly hurtful to make your point. There's a difference.
One of my ex-boyfriends wouldn't believe that. But then again, he believes in the Loch Ness Monster over Jesus Christ. Hmmm.

You know, the only time I was ever completely truthful about everything I was feeling and in my life, I was called a mind whore. Not to my face, of course.
What a waste of time. It still makes me angry, but then again, I can eat the same whole wheat grudge sandwich every day without getting tired of it.

I know, it's really good. Really good.

Labels for this post: premature, immature, Nessie

No comments:

Post a Comment