Thursday, December 3, 2009

No-shavember

I know that it's December. I like December very much. But I want to talk a little bit about November, too.
November is a weird month for me. I think it's because I notice that instead of the trees gradually fading, they're becoming the stripped, skeletal supermodels of the winter foliage line. Yes, I can relate most things to clothes. Don't be impressed, because it's actually kinda lame.

Anyway, the most popular thing I heard people discussing in November was not actually Thanksgiving, but a popular movement called "No-shave November", or No-shavember. The idea behind No-shave November is that men will not shave their faces for the entire month, enduring the sympathetic ribbing of their peers due to their mountain mannerisms. All they need are some flannel shirts, which are in style just in time for No-shave November. Hmmm.

Of course this movement is funny, and personally, I like it. I like that we're starting to open up to how humans really look - men have facial hair. It can be a great look.
But.
I want to know how many women participated in No-shave November. I want to hear the comments their friends made to them. Maybe something like, "Gross" or "disgusting" or ironically, "manly". Why must we be so embedded in our cultural expectations as women that we can't allow our bodies to be in their most natural, 'imperfect' states? Or if we do, why does it then become acceptable to call us gross, disgusting, maybe even throw out a derogatory term for homosexual females?

I didn't participate in No-shave November. Maybe I will next year, and maybe you'll think it's gross, but I think this double standard is what is truly disgusting.

Labels for this post: progressive, girls, double-standards

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more. Double standards, especially when it comes to gender, are disgusting. It makes me sad sometimes to think about how our society is often depicted by double standards; take for example the whole “women are sluts, men are players” scenario. To say a woman is a slut is derogatory and cruel; however, to call a man a slut or a player is often times a bragging right. I’m in no way saying that women are the only ones who are treated unfairly, because there are certainly instances when men fall under the double standard as well. Nor am I saying that we can expect the same things from a man as we can from a woman (or vice versa). What I AM saying is that we all need to be more considerate of each other’s differences and be accepting and understanding of them, and not throw stereotypes out into our society and see them as truths; it dangerous and downright inaccurate. What makes this ever harder to swallow is that we all cater to double standards and stereotypes in some way, whether or not we realize it or want to admit it. I just find it incredibly saddening and disappointing that these exist, and I hope (no matter how realistic this may be) that one day I will live to see a world in which double standards are a thing of the past. Wouldn’t that be nice? Here’s to wishful thinking *cheers*.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally loved No-shave November because I love my boyfriend with a beard. I am sad that it's over.

    BUT I do very much agree with you. The whole "men are allowed to be gross but women aren't" thing bothers me. I think I even remember telling you it would be gross if women participated in it. And you're right - when did it become gross?

    It's just the sad influence media has had, creating a complete lack of depth in everyone who belongs to our culture.

    Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete